Friday, March 23, 2012

May the odds be ever in your favor (LIES)

The odds are clearly not in your favor if there's a 1 out of 24 chance of survival.  Favorable odds, to me, means that there's a higher probability of winning than there is of losing.  I'm not taking AP Statistics until next year, but I know enough to recognize that 4% is not particularly favorable.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, please go read The Hunger Games.  It's a fantastic book.  I don't feel like blogging about the Hunger Games, though, because of all the movie hype.  EVERYONE is talking about it.

Right now, I'm reading "The Hunger Pains," a hilarious parody starring "Kantkiss Neverclean" from District 12, the undesirable telemarketing district.  This book is the newest parody from the Harvard Lampoon, whom you might know as the author of "Nighlight," the Twilight parody.

It's freaking hilarious, people.  

But besides that.  Hunger Games are way too overdone at the moment (I'm seeing the movie tomorrow!)  Instead, let's talk about more awesome things, like, um...did you know it was 80 degrees yesterday?

This is pitiful.  I'm so pathetic that I'm talking about the weather.

So, do you guys remember about a month ago, when I posted about President's Day and listed all the US presidents in order from memory?  Well, that skill came in handy recently.  Sort of.  Ish.

I had a vocab quiz in American Lit, and my teacher included a random bonus question: "Who is Sylvia Ward?"*  The name sounded familiar, but I wasn't sure who it was.  So, instead, I wrote the following:

"I'm not really sure who Sylvia Ward is.  Sorry.  I instead propose a new bonus question: 'List all the US presidents in order.'" And I then proceeded to list them all on my test.

I didn't expect points or anything, but the next day in class, my teacher says "I was grading the vocab quizzes last night, and there were some...interesting responses to the bonus question.  For example, Anne said..." And she told the class my answer.

It was hilarious and my face turned totally red.  She didn't give me points, but I got a smiley face on my paper.  It was kind of funny.  Well, a lot.

Have you ever put "questionable" answers down on tests?  How did it work out?  All my friends were just like, "you're so nerdy" and I answered "yeah, I know."  One friend, who shares my history-geekiness, agreed that I was a genius, which was quite nice.

*In case you wanted to know, Sylvia Ward Dr. Heidegger's lover in the story "Dr. Heidegger's Experiment" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.  Kudos to you if you knew that!

6 comments:

  1. I put factoids around the border of my history test once I finished.
    My history teacher appreciated it.
    I write science jokes on science tests if I finish early.
    etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I circle my government teacher's typos and write snarky remarks to the most absurd multiple choice answers he gives us. He called me out on it in class last week. I just grinned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to see Hunger Games until I found out it was rated PG-13...

    also mistrusting feelings about the ethics of the author from ripping off the excellent novel/movie/manga Battle Royale. I know she denied it, and the plot has a lot of differences but regardless of that it does also feel a bit tame and bland in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your answer was pretty hilarious. I'll do something like that when I'm stumped next time.

    I haven't read The Hunger Games but it obviously must be good if all the preppy kids in my school are reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm seeing the movie today... hope it's as good as everyone says...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't the Hunger Games just Battle Royale? That's the impression that I've been getting.

    ReplyDelete

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Please leave a comment
Or I'll sic a velociraptor on you